Random Thoughts: 1/19/2020

Welcome to Random Thoughts. Here, I will set one of my music collections to "random", see what ten songs come up, listen to them and comment. Let's see how this goes....

Source for today: iTunes music collection

Song 1: Grateful Dead "Ain't it Crazy (the rub) 3/18/71

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2ViHiIWf60

It's not completely shocking that my first tune is a Dead tune. But it made me happy. Anyone who knows my Dead fandom knows that i GREATLY prefer the early 70's dead with Pigpen as my absolute favorites. And this tune is such a great example of that. His raspy vocals were never recaptured after he was no longer around, and the bluesy swagger the boys played with while he was there is what i loved so much. And that harmonica solo! Amazing! If you don't know these good old pigpen songs, you are MISSING OUT!

Song 2: Mumford & Sons, "Friend of the Devil" (from the Day of the Dead album)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkYNuujgahc

Admittedly, I don't recall actually hearing this version before. When you've got a music collection this size, that's bound to happen. While I'm not a huge Mumford fan, I don't particularly love this version. But, I'll give them credit for not just doing a straightforward cover and putting their own spin on it. What do you think?

Song 3: Sublime "Rivers of Babylon" Acoustic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0x3aKmKodo

I went through a Crazy Sublime phase a number of years ago. It included spending WAAAAY too much money on sublime bootlegs off eBay and other places (before that kind of stuff was much more easily accessible via online methods). While I don't listen to them nearly as much anymore, I still love and appreciate Bradley Nowell for his voice, musical ability and skill to be able to meld multiple genres into something that is just fun to listen to. Especially when the weather is warm and the sun is shining.  For an added bonus, check out the acoustic version of "Saw Red" from this album. Fantastic. And for those who don't know or weren't old enough, that's Gwen Stefani of No Doubt who sings this song with him on the non-acoustic versions! While this one is a cover, it's just another example of how they can make even a song like this their own. Adding Sublime to the work playlist for next week.

Song 4: Doc McStuffins "Get Your Sleep On"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64rCaqAnzsw

This is what happens when you have young children and you don't create a custom playlist that excludes their songs from yours. Oh well, at least it's only 45 seconds long. I admit I did have a few seconds of nostalgia listening to this mostly because all three of my kids are now probably too old for this tune, but i remember a time when they weren't and they absolutely LOVED it! Makes me smile. Maybe I'll keep it in the collection just for that reason...

Song 5: Phish Keep it Real 7/25/18 San Francisco, CA

https://relisten.net/phish/2018/07/25/keepin-it-real?source=163295

Well it figures out of all the Phish i have in my collection, this random set gives me a song they have only played live twice. I don't have much to say on it other than it's good, not great. But I'll have plenty more Phish talk later...

Song 6: Billy Joel "Keeping the faith"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph7oZnBH05s

I love Billy Joel. Probably one of the very first artists I felt the need to get their entire catalog and I still listen to it. Saw him at Citizens Bank Park a few summers back and it was so much fun! Singing every word at the top of my lungs. Along with thousands of others. You need that every once in a while.  I'll admit that now whenever I hear this song I think of the Catalina Wine Mixer from Step Brothers where they play strictly 80's Joel! But another thing is you should take the time to watch this fantastic video from way back when! Love my 80's Joel!

Song 7: The Velvet Underground "Some Kind of Love"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fh-GNnCwHj4

I regret not listening to more Velvet Underground sooner. Besides a few tunes here and there that were the popular radio choices, I didn't know much until I saw Phish play their "Loaded" album in it's entirety on Halloween 1998. Since then, I've been much more open and interested in their library. And realize how great it really is. If you have the time, get lost in a Velvet Underground shuffle play and you'll come up with some winners you haven't heard before. This will be one of them.

Song 8: String Cheese Incident "The Wedge" 10/31/2000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l1izXKOImw

There's this weird Us vs Them sort of mentality sometimes between fans of similar bands. Almost like if you're a fan of Phish then you can't be a fan of SCI and vice versa. It's total bullshit, but happens often within a number of different band fan circles. And that can then project almost to a competitive nature between the bands themselves as perceived by the fans when nothing like that even remotely exists. In fact, most musicians, given the chance, will usually only praise their musical counterparts. And the best way to praise or pay homage is to cover their music, as SCI did back in 2000 with their cover of Phish's rhythmically dynamic tune. One of my favorites, it just added more excitement to the fact that they were playing it. If nothing else, just listen to the crowd at the beginning when they come to the realization of what song they are playing. I've had that feeling hearing a band play another's song and there's nothing quite like it. Love this one.

Song 9: Phish AC/DC Bag 7/2/2019 Saratoga Performing Arts Center, NY.

https://relisten.net/phish/2019/07/02/ac-dc-bag?source=178104

Any AC/DC bag played within the first 5 songs of the first set is bound to be a good time. It's just a great setup song. The "Let's get down to the nitty-gritty, Let's get this show on the road" line which always solicits a crowd roar. I'll always remember this tune because of a college friend who whenever he heard the "Let 'em fight it out" line would punch the air three times in rhythm with the music. I still do it every time i hear it.  :-)

Song 10: Bob Dylan & The Band "This wheel's on fire"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I37Utt01j7U

I mean, listening to this gave me chills. Dylan with the band together is just fantastic. I will be honest that I enjoy the pace/tempo of the Band's later versions of this song that had a little more speed to it (and a better leading voice IMO), but this one is still fantastic to listen to. You can hear that it's the beginning of what will become something incredible in the near future. These whole Basement Tapes recordings are just phenomenal and should be required listening for anyone who appreciates Rock n roll.

OK that's wasn't that quick at all. But very enjoyable. Wouldn't be surprised if the next installment is only 5 songs or something. But still. Tell me what you think. Agree? Disagree? Why? Let me know!

Comments

Popular Posts